czwartek, 3 kwietnia 2008

Verb+preposition - Klasa I i II

Verb+about
be about something - That book is about his experiences in Africa.
argue about (doing) something - The boys argued about which bus to take.
be concerned about (doing) something - I'm concerned about your grades.
be worried about (doing) something - She is worried about her exams.
boast about (doing) something - Thomas boasted about his golfing ability.
decide about (doing) something - Anna decided about her goals.
dream about (doing) something - Mark dreams about becoming a ballet dancer.
protest about (doing) something - The students protested about the invasion.
Verb+against
be against something / someone - I am against the new regulation.
insure something against something - We insured our house against storm damage.
protest against (doing) something - The students are protesting against the invasion.
Verb+at
be at something - The exhibition is at the modern art gallery.
glance at something - Can I glance at that for a moment?
guess at something - She guessed at the answer.
hint at something - My mom hinted at my present.
marvel at something - I marvel at your math abilities. be for something / someone - I'm for Mayor Martini.
Verb+for
account for something - That accounts for his success.
allow for something - I think you need to allow for misunderstandings.
apologize for something / someone - Jackson apologized for his rude behavior.
blame someone for (doing) something - I blame Janet for the broken pottery.
care for (doing) something / someone - He doesn't care for playing golf.
charge someone for (doing) something - The accountant charged him $400 for his advice.
count for something - Your good marks count for 50% of your grade.
earmark something for a use - Congress earmarked $6 million for safety improvements.
pay for someone / something - Let me pay for Tom.
Verb+from
bar someone from (doing) something - Jack has barred Jennifer from visiting his daughter.
bar someone from a place - The police barred Peter from the shopping mall.
benefit from (doing) something - Students benefit from listening to news reports on the radio.
derive something from something - He derived the meaning from the context of the sentence.
deter someone from (doing) something - Please deter your children from walking across busy avenues.
differ from something - Our cheese differs from our competitor's cheese because of its superior quality.
distinguish one thing from another thing - I'm afraid he can't distinguish a British accent from a Irish accent.
distract someone from something - Please distract Tim from the television.
exempt someone from (doing) something - The judge exempted the young man from doing extra community service.
expel someone from a place - The children were expelled form school for their bad behavior.
refrain from (doing) something - Nancy refrains from smoking at work.
resign from (doing) something - Jacques resigned from his position.
result from (doing) something - The unrest results from our politicians lack of seriousness about the situation.
stem from (doing) something - The poor results stem from his lack of experience.
suffer from (doing) something - He will suffer from studying too little.
Verb+in
be absorbed in (doing) something - Peter was absorbed in reading his book.
confide in someone - I confided in Tom my desire to find a new job.
be engrossed in (doing) something - I surprised Jane who was engrossed in watching TV.
implicate someone in (doing) something - The boss implicated Peter in the crime.
involve someone in (doing) something - You should involve your children in physical activities.
result in something - His decision resulted in increased profits.
specialize in (doing) something - My daughter specializes in teaching physics.
succeed in (doing) something - Jane succeed in getting a new job.
Verb+of
accuse someone of (doing) something - His mother accused him of eating the entire cake.
convict someone of (doing) something - Johnson was convicted of armed robbery.
remind someone of (doing) something / someone - Peter reminded me of Tom.
suspect someone of (doing) something - The police suspect Agnes of breaking into the bank.
Verb+on
be on something / someone - She is on Peter to do his best.
base something on something - I base my conclusions on market research.
blame something on someone - She blames the lack of interest on the teacher's poor explanation.
concentrate something on (doing) something - They concentrate their efforts on improving the infrastructure.
congratulate someone on (doing) something - Tom congratulated Lisa on getting her diploma.
decide on something - I've decided to get a new job.
depend on someone / (doing) something - We depend on our customers' suggestions.
elaborate on (doing) something - Can you elaborate on the process?
impose on someone - The mother imposed severe restrictions on her daughter.
insist on something / someone doing something - I insist on Peter's studying every day for two hours.
pride oneself on (doing) something - I like to pride myself on my ability to concentrate.
Verb+to
answer to someone - I answer to Ms Smith.
appeal to someone - Let me appeal to you for your help in this matter.
apply oneself to (doing) something - I think you should apply yourself to getting a degree.
apply to something - He applied glue to the board.
attend to (doing) something - Chris attended to doing the grocery shopping.
attribute something to someone - Professor Samson attributes this painting to Leonardo.
be resigned to (doing) something - I'm resigned to not having any success in that field.
commit oneself to (doing) something - She committed herself to finding a new job.
confess to (doing) something - The boy confessed to stealing the apple.
devote oneself to (doing) something - I'm going to devote myself to playing the piano after I retire.
prefer one thing to another thing - I prefer roast potatoes to French fries.
react to something - He reacted poorly to the news.
refer to (doing) something - Please refer to your notes.
refer someone to someone - I referred Ken to Doctor Jones.
resort to (doing) something - Please don't resort to violence.
see to (doing) something - I'll see to those chores.
subject someone to (doing) something - She subjected her daughter to swimming lessons.
Verb+with
acquaint someone with something - I acquainted Mary with French cuisine.
associate something with (doing) someone - Susan associates chocolate with childhood.
be faced with (doing) something - She's faced with working overtime this weekend.
charge someone with (doing) something - The officer charged Mr Smith with blackmail.
clutter with something - The room was cluttered with paper.
coincide with something - My birthday coincides with a national holiday.
collide with something - The car collided with a truck and blocked traffic.
comply with something - He complies with each and every order.
confront someone with something - I confronted Vivian with the evidence.
confuse someone / something with someone / something - I'm afraid I confused you with someone else.
cram with something - My closed is crammed with dirty clothes!
deal with someone / (doing) something - I can't deal with so much overtime.
discuss something with someone - I'd like to discuss our next conference with the boss.
ingratiate oneself with someone - Ingratiate yourself with the headmaster and your life with be easy!
meet with something - The congressman met with strong opposition to his plan.
pack with something - Peter packed his case with extra brochures.
plead with someone - He plead with his teacher to give him one more chance.
provide someone with something - The instructor provided the students with a number of examples.
tamper with something - Do not tamper with this equipment.
trust someone with something - I trust Bob with all of my financial information.


Brak komentarzy: